• You may be subject to additional taxes and penalties for accessing your annuity early. Check with your agent or the Insurance Division if you have additional questions.
Rating service agencies publish opinions on the financial strength of insurance companies for your life insurance and annuity policies. While some rating agencies will provide consumers with free rates, beware that others may charge. Additionally, rating services often publish reports in book or magazine form which may be available at your local library.
• A.M. Best Company, (908) 439-2200 (fee charged)
• Demotech Inc, (800) 354-7207 (free to consumers)
• Moody's Investor Services, (212) 553-0377 (first three ratings free to consumers)
• Standard & Poor's Corporation, (212) 438-2400 – option # 1 (free to consumers)
• Weiss Research, (908) 439-2200 (fee charged)
The Iowa Life & Health Insurance Guaranty Association
The guaranty association is composed of all insurers licensed to sell life insurance, accident and health insurance, and individual annuities in the state of Iowa. In the event that a member insurer is found to be insolvent and is ordered to be liquidated by a court, the Guaranty Association Act enables the guaranty association to provide protection (up to the limits spelled out in the Act) to Iowa residents who are holders of life and health insurance policies and individual annuities with the insolvent insurer. The task of servicing the insurance company's policies and providing coverage to Iowa's resident policyholders becomes the responsibility of the guaranty association.